2018-2019 NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll (No. 2)
By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletics Communications – Article
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the 48th-consecutive rankings period, Grand View (Iowa) is No. 1 in the NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll.
The next installment of the Coaches’ Poll is scheduled for Dec. 28.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-2001)
- Grand View’s streak at No. 1 goes back to Oct. 17, 2012. The Vikings recently beat then ninth-ranked Baker 38-6 in a Heart of America matchup on Dec. 6.
- The top five remained the same from the last poll, with Indiana Tech, Montana State-Northern, Cumberlands (Ky.) and Providence (Mont.) all trailing Grand View, in that order.
- New to the poll this week are No. 15 Southern Oregon and No. 20 Eastern Oregon.
- Northwestern (Iowa) and Dickinson State (N.D.) fell out of the poll.
- Grand View leads the way with three top-ranked wrestlers in their weight classes: Justin Portillo (125 pounds), Ryan Niven (165 pounds) and Evan Hansen (197 pounds).
- Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-2018), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class are based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first-place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – Poll 2 (Dec. 12, 2018)
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||Heart of America||202|
|6||14||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||Mid-South||83|
|12||8||Williams Baptist (Ark.)||AMC||65|
|18||9||Baker (Kan.)||Heart of America||55|
|19||11||Missouri Valley||Heart of America||51|
Dropped out: Northwestern (Iowa), Dickinson State (N.D.)
Receiving votes: Briar Cliff (Iowa) 39, Brewton-Parker (Ga.) 35, Morningside (Iowa) 34, Concordia (Neb.) 33, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 32, Lourdes (Ohio) 31, Northwestern (Iowa) 31, Dickson State (N.D.) 28, Doane (Neb.) 26, Bethany (Kan.) 19, Graceland (Iowa) 16, Kansas Wesleyan 14, Saint Mary (Kan.) 14, Benedictine (Kan.) 12, St. Andrews (N.C.) 12, Ottawa (Kan.) 11, Jamestown (N.D.) 11, Cumberland (Tenn.) 10, Wayland Baptist (Texas) 10, Life Pacific (Ore.) 7, Oklahoma Wesleyan 6, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 2, Missouri Baptist 2, Truett-McConnell (Ga.) 2
Top-ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
101 – Justin Portillo, Grand View
133 – Erique Early, Indiana Tech
141 – Matt Weber, Montana State-Northern
149 – Tres Leon, Cumberlands (Ky.)
157 – Nosomy Pozo, Life (Ga.)
165 – Ryan Niven, Grand View (Iowa)
174 – Lucas Lovvorn, Baker (Kan.)
184 – Zach Linton, Doane (Neb.)
197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View
285 – Brandon Reed, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)