2018-2019 NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll (No. 3)
By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletics Communications – Link
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Menlo (Calif.) becomes the first repeat No. 1-ranked team in the brief history of the NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 poll, extending its lead over No. 2 Wayland Baptist (Texas) by 24 points.
NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll Highlights
- For the second-straight poll, Menlo wrestlers claimed the top spot at six weight classes: Alleida Martinez (109), Gracie Figueroa (116), Solin Piearcy (136), Angela Peralta (143), Iman Kazem (155) and Precious Bell (170).
- Wayland Baptist has the top-ranked wrestlers at 191 pounds (Paige Baynes) and 101 (Ovience Ray).
- Providence (Mont.) and Campbellsville (Ky.) each have one top-ranked wrestler.
- After falling out in the last poll, Central Christian (Kan.) and Saint Mary (Kan.) re-enter, tied at No. 20.
- Baker (Kan.) fell out of the poll this week.
- This is the first year for women’s wrestling as an NAIA invitational sport. Twenty-five NAIA institutions field wrestling teams during the 2018-2019 season. Women’s wrestling will be eligible for championship status after two years of competition as an invitational sport and 40 institutions sponsor a varsity women’s wrestling team.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the four conferences and groupings.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class are based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first-place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches Top 20 Poll – No. 3
|2||2||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||Central||262|
|19||18||Warner Pacific (Ore.)||West||16|
|20||RV||Central Christian (Kan.)||Central||14|
|20||RV||Saint Mary (Kan.)||KCAC||14|
Dropped out: Baker (Kan.)
Receiving votes: Baker (Kan.) 13
Top-ranked individuals | Individual rankings
101 – Ovieonce Ray, Wayland Baptist
109 – Alleida Martinez, Menlo
116 – Gracie Figueora, Menlo
123 – Dajan Treder, Providence
130 – Andribeth Rivera, Campbellsville
136 – Solin Piearcy, Menlo
143 – Angela Peralta, Menlo
155 – Iman Kazem, Menlo
170 – Precious Bell, Menlo
191 – Paige Baynes, Wayland Baptist