2019-2020 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – No. 1
Courtesy of the NAIA – Link
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the 53rd consecutive ratings period, Grand View (Iowa) is No. 1 in the NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-2001)
- The No. 1 Vikings collected 188 total points keeping their No. 1 streak alive dating back to Oct. 17, 2012.
- Grand View had two individual No. 1 wrestlers Josh Wenger (149) and Evan Hansen (197). Both Hansen and Wenger were defending individual national just one year ago.
- Life (Ga.) joined the top 10 moving from No. 13 with 80 total points.
- There are two new wrestlers at No. 1 this week including: Nickalas Henneman, Lourdes (Ohio) at 141 and Casey Dobson, Providence (Mont.) at 157.
- Williams Baptist dropped out of the Top 20.
- Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-2018, 2018-19), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot
- The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2019-20 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Preseason Top 20 Poll (November 21, 2019)
|Rank||Previous Rank||Team||Total Team Points|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||188|
|2||2||Reinhardt University (GA)||146|
|3||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||111|
|4||3||Marian University (IN)||103|
Dropped Out: Williams Baptist (Ark.)
Others receiving votes: Williams Baptist (Ark.) 37, Ottawa 37, Morningside (Iowa) 31, Cumberland (Tenn.) 31, Briar Cliff (Iowa) 25, Dickinson State (N.D.) 25, University of Saint Mary (Kan.) 19, Eastern Oregon 17, Doane (Neb.) 15, Midway 15, Southern Oregon 14, Corban (Ore.) 14, Bluefield 13, Simpson (Calif.) 13, Thomas More 12, Life Pacific 11, Calumet (Ind.) 11, Missouri Baptist (Texas) 9, Hastings (Neb.) 9, Jamestown (N.D.) 9, York (Neb.) 5, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 4, Waldorf (Iowa) 4, Lincoln (Ill.) 3, Wayland Baptist (Texas) 3, Rochester 2, Truett-McConnell (Ga.) 2, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 2 Vanguard (Calif.) 1
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Randy McCray Jr., Life (Ga.)
133 – Gresh Jones, Dickinson State (N.D.)
141 – Nickalas Henneman, Lourdes (Ohio)
149 – Josh Wenger, Grand View (Iowa)
157 – Casey Dobson, Providence (Mont.)
165 – Justin George, Reinhardt (Ga.)
174 – Lucas Lovvorn, Baker (Kan.)
184 – Anthony Orozco, Menlo (Calif.)
197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View (Iowa)
285 – Brandon Reed, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)