KANSAS CITY, Mo. – After winning its eighth-consecutive national title last year, Grand View (Iowa) again starts the season as the No. 1 team in the NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Preseason Top 20 Poll. The next installment of the Coaches’ Poll is scheduled for Nov. 21.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-2001)
- Grand View is No. 1 in the poll for the 52nd-consecutive time dating back to Oct. 17, 2012
- After winning their 8th red banner in 2019 the Vikings are now tied with Adams State and Central State for the most national team titles (8) in NAIA history.
- Grand View had two individual national champions a year ago Evan Hansen and Josh Wenger, and both will return this season.
- Three-time NAIA National Champion, Evan Hansen looks to go four-for-four starting the 2019-20 season at No. 1 at 197 pounds.
- Five wrestlers who finished last year at No. 1 also start this season at No. 1: Josh Wenger, (149) of Grand View, Lucas Lovvorn (174) of Baker (Kan.) Anthony Orozco (184) of Menlo (Cailf.) and Brandon Reed (285) of Lindsey Wilson in addition to Evan Hansen (197).
- There are five new wrestlers at No. 1 to begin the 2019-20 season: Randy McCray Jr. (125) of Life (Ga.), Gresh Jones (133) of Dickinson State (N.D.), Ethan Owen (141) of Southeastern (Fla.), Tres Leon (157) of Cumberlands (Ky.) and Justin George (165) of Reinhardt (Ga.).
- Four teams are new to the poll, based on the postseason poll from last season: No. 3 Marian (Ind.), No. 11 Lourdes (Ohio), No. 18 Concordia (Neb.) and No. 19 Williams Baptist (Ark.)
- Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-2018, 2018-19), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot
- The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2019-20 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Preseason Top 20 Poll (October 31, 2019)
|Rank||Previous Rank||Team||Total Team Points|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||169|
|2||5||Reinhardt University (GA)||141|
|3||RV||Marian University (IN)||130|
|4||2||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||107|
Others receiving votes: Briar Cliff (Iowa) 35, Cumberland (Tenn.) 34, Northwestern (Iowa) 33, Morningside (Iowa) 33, Dickinson State (N.D.) 32, Doane (Neb.) 28, Saint Mary (Kan.) 24, Ottawa (Kan.) 22, Life Pacific 21, Corban (Ore.) 19, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 18, Jamestown (N.D.) 16, Missouri Baptist (Mo.) 14, Eastern Oregon 13, Simpson (Calif.) 12, Rochester 11, Wayland Baptist (Texas) 11, York (Neb.) 9, Bethany (Kan.) 8, Hastings (Neb.) 3, Midway (Ky.) 3, William Penn (Iowa) 3, Dakota Wesleyan (1) and WVY Tech (W.Va.)
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
- 125 – Randy McCray Jr., Life (Ga.)
- 133 – Gresh Jones, Dickinson State (N.D.)
- 141 – Ethan Owen, Southeastern (Fla.)
- 149 – Josh Wenger, Grand View (Iowa)
- 157 – Tres Leon, Cumberlands (Ky.)
- 165 – Justin George, Reinhardt (Ga.)
- 174 – Lucas Lovvorn, Baker (Kan.)
- 184 – Anthony Orozco, Menlo (Calif.)
- 197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View (Iowa)
- 285 – Brandon Reed, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)