NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll
Courtesy of the NAIA – Link
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Vikings of Grand View (Iowa) secured the No. 1 spot in the NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll for the 57th consecutive ratings period. Rounding out the top five this week was Reinhardt (Ga.), Life (Ga.), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) and Menlo (Calif.).
The next installment of the Coaches’ Poll is scheduled for Feb. 20th
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-2001)
- The Grand View Vikings earned 212 this week to remain No. 1. The Vikings have been in the driver’s seat since back to Oct. 17, 2012. Winning eight straight national titles as a program.
- Grand View had four individual No. 1 wrestlers including Justin Portillo (125) Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer (157), Kendon Lee (141) and Evan Hansen (197).
- Thomas More (Ky.) joined the poll this week earning 40 points.
- There were two new wrestlers in the top-ranked individuals this week Kendon Lee of Grand View and Austin Wallace-Lister of Warner Pacific.
- Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-2018, 2018-19), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot
- The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2019-20 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – Poll 5 (February 6, 2020)
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||212|
|2||2||Reinhardt University (GA)||137|
|4||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||113|
|12||12||Marian University (IN)||70|
|18||18||Eastern Oregon University (OR)||39|
Receiving Votes: Life Pacific 31, Cumberland (Tenn.) 30, Lourdes (Ohio) 26, Northwestern (Iowa) 26, Warner Pacific 26, Southern Oregon 24, Briar Cliff (Iowa) 24, Williams Baptist 21, Missouri Baptist 19, Doane (Neb.) 18, Morningside (Iowa) 18, Dickinson State (N.D.) 18, Calumet (Ind.) 16, Saint Mary (Kan.) 16, Corban (Ore.) 15, Ottawa 15, Bluefield 15, Brewton-Parker (Ga.) 13, Cleary 13, Hastings (Neb.) 11, Texas Wesleyan 11, Vanguard (Calif.) 7, Arizona Christian 7, Midway 6, York (Neb.) 4, Lincoln 4
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Justin Portillo, Grand View (Iowa)
133 – Austin Wallace-Lister, Warner Pacific
141 – Kendon Lee, Grand View (Iowa)
149 – Tres Leon, Cumberlands (Ky.)
157 – Renaldo Rodreguez-Spencer, Grand View (Iowa)
165 – Justin George, Reinhardt (Ga.)
174 – Lucas Lovvorn, Baker (Kan.)
184 – Anthony Orozco, Menlo (Calif.)
197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View (Iowa)
285 – Brandon Reed, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)