NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – No. 3
Courtesy of the NAIA – Link
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Vikings of Grand View (Iowa) secured 188 total points to earn No. 1 advancing their streak 55 consecutive ratings periods at No. 1.
The next installment of the Coaches’ Poll is scheduled for Jan. 16th
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-2001)
- The Vikings have remained in the driver’s seat since back to Oct. 17, 2012. Winning eight straight national titles as a program.
- Grand View had three individual No. 1 wrestlers including Justin Portillo (125) Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer (157) and Evan Hansen (197).
- Cumberlands (Ky.) joined the top five this week moving up three spots with Tres Leon being the only newcomer in the individually ranked wrestlers at 149.
- Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-2018, 2018-19), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot
- The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2019-20 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – Poll 3 (January 3, 2020)
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||188|
|2||2||Reinhardt University (GA)||156|
|7||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||102|
|8||8||Marian University (IN)||91|
Receiving Votes: Ottawa 32, Northwestern (Iowa), 33, Arizona Christian 32, Dickinson State (N.D.) 32, Eastern Oregon 31, Warner Pacific 30, Briar Cliff (Iowa) 22, Saint Mary (Kan.) 21, Cumberland (Tenn.) 20, Thomas More 18, Midway 17, Life Pacific 16, Doane (Neb.) 16, Calumet (Ind.) 15, Bluefield 15, Southern Oregon 15, Corban (Ore.) 14, Williams Baptist 13, Hastings (Neb.) 12, Waldorf (Iowa) 9, Brewtow-Parker (Ga.) 8, York (Neb.) 8, Jamestown (N.D.) 7, Vanguard (Calif.) 6, Truett-McConnell (Ga.) 3, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 2, Simpson (Calif.) 2
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Justin Portillo, Grand View (Iowa)
133 – Gresh Jones, Dickinson State (N.D.)
141 – Dayton Marvel, Campbellsville (Ky.)
149 – Tres Leon, Cumberlands (Ky.)
157 – Renaldo Rodreguez-Spencer, Grand View (Iowa)
165 – Justin George, Reinhardt (Ga.)
174 – Lucas Lovvorn, Baker (Kan.)
184 – Anthony Orozco, Menlo (Calif.)
197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View (Iowa)
285 – Brandon Reed, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)