NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – No. 4
Courtesy of the NAIA – Link
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Vikings of Grand View (Iowa) secured the No. 1 spot in the NAIA Men’s Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll for the 56th consecutive ratings period. Rounding out the top five this week was Reinhardt (Ga.), Life (Ga.), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) and Cumberlands (Ky.).
The next installment of the Coaches’ Poll is scheduled for Feb. 6th
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-2001)
- The Vikings have remained in the driver’s seat since back to Oct. 17, 2012. Winning eight straight national titles as a program.
- Grand View had three individual No. 1 wrestlers including Justin Portillo (125) Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer (157) and Evan Hansen (197).
- Life (Ga.) made the biggest jump moving from No. 15 to the top three.
- There was one new wrestler to the top-ranked individuals at 141 from Marian (Ind.) Brandon James.
- Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-2018, 2018-19), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
- Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
- The top 20 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot
- The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
- For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2019-20 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – Poll 4 (January 16, 2020)
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||196|
|2||2||Reinhardt University (GA)||141|
|4||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||126|
|12||8||Marian University (IN)||77|
|18||RV||Eastern Oregon University (OR)||36|
|19||RV||Arizona Christian University||34|
Receiving Votes: Warner Pacific 28, Dickinson State (N.D.) 24, Lourdes (Ohio) 24, Ottawa 24, Briar Cliff (Iowa) 22, Northwestern (Iowa) 21, Southern Oregon 20, Thomas More 19, Saint Mary (Kan.) 19, Midway 18, Doane (Neb.) 17, Cumberland (Tenn.) 16, Life Pacific 16, Bluefield 15, Calumet (Ind.) 14, Corban (Ore.) 14, Williams Baptist 13, Hastings (Neb.) 12, Waldorf (Iowa) 3, Texas Wesleyan 2, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 1, Lincoln 1
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Justin Portillo, Grand View (Iowa)
133 – Gresh Jones, Dickinson State (N.D.)
141 – Brandon James, Marian (Ind.)
149 – Tres Leon, Cumberlands (Ky.)
157 – Renaldo Rodreguez-Spencer, Grand View (Iowa)
165 – Justin George, Reinhardt (Ga.)
174 – Lucas Lovvorn, Baker (Kan.)
184 – Anthony Orozco, Menlo (Calif.)
197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View (Iowa)
285 – Brandon Reed, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)