NWCA Division I National DualsView Results
OverviewFebruary 17 - 20, 2017 Non-Big Ten Schools TBA
The champions of each of the Non-BigTen Division I Conferences (Pac-12 will not participate) will host a top ranked BigTen Opponent. The committee has the ability to add up to two wild card teams if necessary. In addition, the EIWA will be split between the Patriot and Ivy League conference.
This format was developed in 2015, through a series of conference calls among our top Division I wrestling coaches for the purpose of making further modifications to the Division I National Duals format so that the following “guiding principles” could be achieved:
The guiding principles of the Bowl Championship Series are as follows:
- Place more importance on dual meets (conference dual meets in particular) in an effort to grow our fan and media base.
- Minimize the amount of competition toward the end of the season (the Bowl Series concept results in all participating teams having one dual meet on the Feb. 20 weekend).
- Create another signature event to elevate wrestling’s relevance.
- Secure “live” national broadcasts and webcasts whenever possible.
- Generate revenue that can be used to strengthen wrestling at each institution and nationally.
BIG 12 (teams intending to compete): Oklahoma State, South Dakota State, Utah Valley, North Dakota State
WILD CARD TEAMS
TEAM SELECTION AND SITE LOCATION: Will be determined by Sunday, February 12
- The top two “Non-Big Ten”’ Schools will be selected based on the “NWCA Final Coaches Poll Ranking.” The Division I Leadership Group (Selection Committee) reserves the right to modify this if it feels that there are extenuating circumstances.
- Best efforts will be made to avoid having teams paired that have met each other earlier during the season.
- If a conference team champion declines to host, the next highest ranked conference team will serve as host.
- The PAC-12 will not participate due to the time frame being one week before the conference tournament.
- All conferences will establish a tie breaker process that will be published and used by the Selection Committee in determining the participating teams.
- The top two ranked BigTen teams would be paired with host schools according to the process approved by the NWCA DI Leadership Committee. The highest ranked BigTen team will be paired with the highest ranked “non BigTen” team, etc.
- The teams comprising the remaining 6 Bowls will be assigned based on regionalization.
- The NWCA DI Leadership Group (Selection Committee) will have the final approval on the team pairing of the remaining 6 Bowls.
- The IVY League and Patriot League will each receive a bid
- The committee reserves the right to add up two additional wildcard match-ups if the teams are ranked in the top 5 but do not otherwise qualify to make the field.