STARTING UP NEW PROGRAMS
Looking to be a part of starting a new program at the collegiate level? The NWCA and its program entrenchment initiative will help you get off on the right track. Below are some downloadable Powerpoint presentations that will help you and your steering committee in the process.
- Presentation shell for starting a Division I Program (Powerpoint)
- Presentation shell for starting a Division II Program (Powerpoint)
- Presentation shell for starting a Division III Program (Powerpoint)
- Presentation shell for starting an NAIA Program (Powerpoint)
- Presentation shell for starting a NJCAA Progam (Powerpoint)
BAKER UNIVERSITY BLUEPRINT TO ADD WRESTLING
Baker University in Kansas will be adding varsity wrestling for the 2009-10 season. Athletics Director Dan Harris has provided informational packets on how the school plans on starting the sport, the reasons why wrestling was chosen and the impact not only on the athletics program, but on the school in general.
The following models have been used in by the NWCA in trying to expand and kickstart wrestling around the country.
- Proposal for adding wrestling at Georgia Colleges (PDF)
- Proposal for adding wrestling in Arkansas -- all levels -- (Powerpoint, PDF)
- Proposal for adding wrestling at St. Vincent College (PDF)
- Proposal for adding wrestling at SUNY-Cobleskill (PDF)
- Proposal for adding wrestling at Faulkner University (PDF)
- Baker University's blueprint for adding wrestling (Resources)
HIGH SCHOOL PARTICIPATION NUMBERS
- 2011-12 High School Participation Numbers - NFHS (PDF)
- Male Wrestling Participation History (Overall - Graph)
- Female Wrestling Participation (Overall - Graph)
- Male Wrestling Participation by state since 1971 (PDF)
- Participation Map High School vs. 4 Year Collegiate Programs (PDF)
KEEPING OUR KIDS INVOLVED, GETTING MORE KIDS INVOLVED
Coach Neil Turner has long been involved in stimulating the growth of wrestling from all levels, he has developed several principles to getting kids involved in the program and keeping them involved based around his "Pyramid of Participation." Helpful Downloads: