Women's Wrestling Facts and Resources
General Facts and Stats:
- Since 1994, the number of women who wrestle in high school has grown from 804 to over 8727. (Total Female Participation - Total Female Participation Graph)
- 20 colleges now sponsor a varsity wrestling program - Women's Collegiate Wrestling Map - List of Teams
- Women's wrestling is now a recognized Olympic sport
- California, Guam, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Texas and Washington sponsor a state high school championship
- Women's high wrestling participation numbers are higher than the NCAA sponsored sports of crew, fencing, skiing, and rifle and NCAA emerging sports of rugby, sand volleyball and equestrian.
- NWCA conducts a 12-team National Dual Meet Championship in conjunction with the NWCA/Cliff Keen Collegiate National Duals
Information on Women's College Wrestling Association (WCWA):
- WCWA serves as the governing body for women’s college wrestling
- WCWA competes at NWCA National Duals
- WCWA National Tournament will have 200+ athletes competing at it.
- There 20 current college teams that are current members, a growth of 2 colleges per year.
- All colleges have 30+ members per team.
- All members offer athletic scholarships to athletes
- WCWA follow International Freestyle Rules
- WCWA members also compete in USAW Senior and Jr. Fila events
- WCWA college recruiting fare is held during the USAW Girls Folkstyle National
- WCWA members must follow eligibility rules similar to NCAA and NAIA rules.
- WCWA members will be using NWCA OPC for wt certification in the future.
Sep 30, 2013
Sep 14, 2013