Women’s Wrestling NCAA Emerging Sport Status Bid sent to the NCAA Office Of Inclusion
COLORADO SPRINGS – Wrestle Like A Girl, Inc., and its partners are proud to announce an NCAA Emerging Sport Status bid to the NCAA for women’s wrestling was submitted on Tuesday, August 1st, 2017 assisting women’s wrestling with taking another step forward.
This combined effort included USA Wrestling, the National Wrestling Coaches Association, the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, the United States Olympic Committee, Wrestle Like A Girl and a special collegiate Women’s Wrestling Committee that was convened to push this effort. The 11 schools that provided Letters Of Commitment with Budget information include the following:
1. Adrian College, NCAA Div. III (MI)
2. Arizona State University, NCAA Div. I (AZ)
3. Averett University, NCAA. Div. III (VA)
4. Emmanuel College, NAIA, (GA)*
5. Ferrum College, NCAA Div. III (VA)
6. King University, NCAA Div. II (TN)
7. MacMurray College, NCAA Div. III (IL)
8. McKendree University, NCAA Div. II (IL)
9. Pacific University, NCAA Div. III (OR)
10. Westminster College, NCAA. Div. III (MO)
11. Simon Fraser University, NCAA Div. II, (BC, Canada)
The NCAA Office Of Inclusion has received the bid. The Women’s Committee On Athletics will review the bid September 2017. If approved, wrestling will be invited to present to the Committee to gain NCAA Emerging Sport Status. We are confident that the NCAA and the wrestling community can work together and make this process as expeditious as possible affording women the opportunity to compete in an NCAA Championship.