NWCA Announces 2021 NAIA Men’s National Coach of the Year
Park City, KS – On Thursday evening the NAIA hosted a virtual National Championship Coaches Social. At the conclusion of the event, National Wrestling Coaches Association Executive Director Mike Moyer recognized the 11 finalists for the NAIA Men’s National Coach of the Year and announced the winner as selected by his peers. The award is presented to the coach that has demonstrated outstanding effort throughout the season in developing and elevating their program on campus and in the community. The NWCA National Coach of the Year awards program is presented by Defense Soap, the official Hygiene partner of the NWCA.
“In continuing our mission, Defense Soap is proud to partner with the NWCA, to keep wrestlers on the mat with our products and education in hygiene.” Guy Sako, Founder and CEO of Defense Soap.
The recipient of this year’s NAIA Men’s National Coach of the Year is Nick Mitchell of Grand View University (IA). Coach Mitchell is in his 13th year as head coach and his achievements this season include a 14-0 dual meet record which has pushed their collegiate all-time dual win streak to 103 consecutive victories. His squad also captured its sixth straight Heart of America Athletic Conference championship with eight individual conference champions while qualifying 12 athletes for the NAIA Championships. His current roster has an incredible 66 wrestlers.
“It is my honor on behalf of the NWCA and our Board of Directors to recognize Coach Nick Mitchell as the National Coach of the Year,” Said Mike Moyer, NWCA Executive Director. “What Nick has done at Grand View has been nothing short of amazing. To be in a position to win a 10th consecutive national title just shows the consistency and drive he has implemented within his program.”
2021 NAIA COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD FINALISTS
- Appalachian Athletic Conference: Jeff Bedard, Reinhardt University
- American Midwest Conference: Todd Allen, Williams Baptist University
- Cascade Collegiate Conference: Dustyn Azure, Eastern Oregon University
- Great Plains Athletic Conference: Jake Stevenson, Morningside College
- Heart of America Athletic Conference: Nick Mitchell, Grand View University
- Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference: Chad Mattox, York College
- Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference: Courtney Strauss, Bethany College
- Mid-South Conference: Corey Ruff, Lindsey Wilson College
- Mid-South Conference: Omi Acosta, Life University
- Sooner Athletic Conference: Ray Bedford, Texas Wesleyan University
- Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference: Thomas Pompei – Indiana Tech
ABOUT THE NWCA
The National Wrestling Coaches Association, established in 1928, is a non-profit organization for the advancement of all levels of the sport of wrestling with primary emphasis on developing coaches who work in academic environments. The three core competencies of the NWCA are: Coaching Development, Student-Athlete Welfare, and the Promotion of Wrestling.